Friday, January 4, 2013

Journal Entry# 6

                So apparently, I guess the firemen are ones who support the idea of burning knowledge that are consisted in books. "Today thanks to them, you can stay happy all the time, you are allowed to read comics, the good old confessions, or trade journals", (Bradbury 58). In this particular quote I found out that even though the firemen burnt the people’s books at 451 degrees Fahrenheit as well as their houses, apparently they were allowed to only read certain things that I suppose discouraged intellect, but better yet entertained the individual as they read. Later I found my speculations were confirmed, "the word 'intellectual', of course, became the swear word it deserved to be....and wasn't it this bright boy you selected for beatings and tortures after hours? Of course it was. We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal....So! A book is a loaded gun in the house next door. Burn it....Who knows who might be the target of a well-read man? Me?” (Bradbury 58). Even though this quote seems a little lengthy I feel this shows the insecurities the future evidently had on itself. Who wouldn't support knowledge before entertainment? In my book, they go hand-in-hand. As of right now, I feel that ignorance is supported in the eyes of Bradbury.....or maybe somehow he'll work this into a way of making a logical point. I suppose we'll find out sooner or later.  I must say, there was one particular line that I found interesting-"There was no longer need of firemen for the old purposes. They were given the new job, as custodians of our peace of mind..."(Bradbury 59). In my brain, when I read this, I immediately visualized the meaning of this statement. It seemed to me that society during this time was being led down a path of ignorance-the people were being brain washed in my perspective. (322 words).

No comments:

Post a Comment